Job Title: Legal Assistant/Law Clerk
Reports To: Principal Lawyer, Articling Student
Location: 301-7300 Warden Ave, Markham Office
Start Date: Immediately or November 1, 2023
English, Cantonese, Mandarin language skills are required.
ABOUT LANDMARK LAW
Landmark Law is a small firm in Markham offering affordable and caring legal services for life’s important milestones and landmarks in real estate, wills and estates, and business law. Our clients are laypersons and small business owners in the community. Our principal lawyer conducts free community legal information seminars and enjoys mentoring students and new graduates. Our team members work with various technology platforms (RingCentral, OneDrive, Google Drive, Lawyerdonedeal, uLawPractice) to leave a greener footprint.
Our firm’s legal assistant position is designed to provide an in-depth experience on various aspects of a small law firm from client inquiry and intake, documentation, assisting with files / transactions, compliance / reporting, to business development. The candidate will gain an understanding of various transactions and law society procedures and interact with the team and clients.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The candidate will assist in the preparation of documentation, perform various searches and familiarize himself / herself with checklists, closing agendas, governmental requirements, etc. The candidate will also assist in the documentation of the purchase or sale of a business, preparation or review of commercial leases and the incorporation and organization of a Business Corporation.
Real Estate / Wills and Estate
The candidate will be responsible for the preparation of documents pertaining to the purchase and sale of the residential real estate as well as attending on clients to execute documents. The candidate will also prepare wills and related documents and assist in the administration of an estate.
The candidate will gain practical experience from initial intake to closing.
Other tasks include the following:
- Scheduling and client/counsel correspondences, reception, intake, information gathering, file opening, file management and final reporting
- Data entry, scanning information in legal software
- Updating templates / precedents with current client information
- Interacting with team members, clients, other law firms and service providers
- Assistance at seminars and with business development
- Assisting principal lawyer, clerk, senior assistant
- Other duties as reasonably associated with your role
SKILLS AND TRAITS
- File management
- Customer service
- Proficiency with e-mail, phone, and OneDrive/Google Drive
- High attention to detail
- Fast learner
- Great work ethic
- Exceptional organization and planning skills
- Exceptional time management skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Team player yet also able to work independently under minimal supervision. As the company is dynamic and growing you must be forward-thinking in this role and adaptable to an ever changing environment
- Responsive and ability to meet deadlines
- Self-starter, strong interpersonal skills, ability to multitask in a fast paced environment, have strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and is looking to grow as a professional.
- Spoken/written English, Cantonese, Mandarin are required.
- law related training and education is required
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide the following:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in our firm and any related experience
- Detailed resume
- Writing sample
- Academic transcripts
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Landmark Law. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Freelance, Part-time, Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $16.55-$25.00 per hour
Expected hours: 20 – 35 per week
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Markham, ON
Expected start date: 2023-11-01