Job Titles (2 roles:) Articling and Co-op Student
Reports To: Principal Lawyer, Clerk
Location: 7300 Warden Ave Office / Remote
Term: Summer to Winter 2022-23
ABOUT LANDMARK LAW:
Landmark Law is a small firm in Markham offering caring and affordable legal services for life’s important milestones and landmarks in wills and estates, real estate, civil litigation, and business law. Our clients are laypersons and small business owners in the community. Our law firm conducts free community legal information seminars and enjoys mentoring students. Our team members work with various technology platforms (RingCentral, OneDrive, Slack, Lawyerdonedeal, Estateably, uLawPractice) to leave a greener footprint.
Our firm’s summer law student and articling positions are designed to provide an in-depth experience on various aspects of a small law firm from client inquiry and intake, documentation, assisting with files / transactions, compliance / reporting, to business development. The candidate will gain an understanding of various transactions and law society procedures and interact with the team and clients.
Our principal lawyer is an approved Articling Principal with Law Society of Ontario and the candidate's placement will be registered with as part of the Articling Program/Experiential Training requirement.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Real Estate / Wills and Estate
The candidates will be responsible for the preparation of documents pertaining to the purchase and sale of the residential real estate as well as attending on clients to execute documents. The candidates will also prepare wills, probate, and related documents and assist in the administration of an estate.
The candidates will perform research on legal topic and civil procedure and liaise with clients to organized facts to help devise litigation strategy. The candidate will also draft responding letters with opposing counsel in attempts to settle disputes.
The candidates will assist in the preparation of documentation, perform various searches and familiarize himself / herself with checklists, closing agendas, governmental requirements, etc. The candidate will also assist in the documentation of the purchase or sale of a business, preparation or review of commercial leases and the incorporation and organization of a Business Corporation.
The candidates will gain practical experience from initial intake to closing.
Other tasks include the following:
• Scheduling and client/counsel correspondences, reception, intake, information gathering, file opening, file management and final reporting
• Data entry, scanning information in legal software
• Updating templates / precedents with current client information
• Interacting with team members, clients, other law firms and service providers
• Assistance at seminars and with business development
• Assisting legal team, clerk, senior assistant
• Other duties as reasonably associated with your role
SKILLS AND TRAITS
• File management
• Customer service
• Proficiency with e-mail, phone, and OneDrive/Google Drive
• High attention to detail
• Fast learner
• Great work ethic
• Exceptional organization and planning skills
• Exceptional time management skills
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
• Team player yet also able to work independently under minimal supervision. As the company is dynamic and growing you must be forward-thinking in this role and adaptable to an ever changing environment
• Responsive and ability to meet deadlines
• Self-starter, strong interpersonal skills, ability to multitask in a fast paced environment, have strong analytical and critical thinking skills, and is looking to grow as a professional.
• **Spoken/written Cantonese / Mandarin are assets **
Currently, the Articling and Co-op Student positions are volunteer/vocational roles where you will be provided with training and exposure to Landmark Law's practice on a variety of law firm-related tasks in accordance with the Law Society of Ontario Articling Program requirements. You will be provided certain allowances, per diem payments, and reimbursements.
• LL.B or J.D. degree from a Canadian law school;
• inroled in an academic co-op program in paralegal or legal clerical studies;
HOW TO APPLY
Please send the following to Winnie Luk-Taylor, Principal Lawyer at Winnie@LandmarkLaw.ca:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in our firm and any related experience
• Detailed resume
• Writing sample
• Univeristy transcripts
We thank all applicants for their interest in exploring employment opportunities with Landmark Law. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contract length: 8-10 months (articling) / one semester (co-op)
Job Types: Full-time, Internship, Volunteer
part time work remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19 with part-time office hours and meetings with clients
Remote interview process
Personal protective equipment provided or required
Social distancing guidelines in place
Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place